The Hamilton EMS (originally Whitfield EMS) website is dedicated to Dr. Eddie Marlow and Mr. Norman D.Burkett.
|Dr. Eddie Marlow - April 18, 1931 - June 24, 2002|
Dr. Marlow was a long time friend of Hamilton EMS and served as our Medical Director for over 17 years. He was an Advocate for EMS in Georgia and helped establish the AED program in Whitfield County.
Dr. Marlow was a graduate of the Medical College of Georgia and was a partner with Dr. Don Thomas at Whitfield Medical Professional Association since 1963. He was a member of the Medical Staff of Hamilton Medical Center, a diplomat of the American Board of Family Practice, a Charter Fellow of the American Academy of Family Practice, Physician and Medical Director of Care More Nursing Facilities, and FAA Medical Examiner.
Dr. Marlow worked as Medical Director and a Board Member of Hamilton EMS to provide the members of the community with the type of Pre-hospital Emergency Medical Care that was desperately needed. Dr. Marlow was respected through out the medical field for steps that he took to ensure the highest quality of care was being provided in the Pre-hospital setting.
Dr. Marlow truly cared about people and their well-being, always taking the time to stop and talk. He will be truly missed by all that knew him as we carry on his vision.
|Mr. Burkett and Director Hitchens (2002) - Region One EMS Awards Banquet|
As former CEO and Administrator of Hamilton Medical Center, Mr. Burkett was responsible for bringing many innovative and needed services to Northwest Georgia. Among them is his desire to make sure Pre-Hospital Emergency Care is one of the highest quality and available to all community members.
He began his career at Hamilton Medical Center in 1954. In 1959, he opened the Dalton Vocational school of Practical Nursing, which later became the Dalton Vo-Tec that offered the first EMT and Paramedic Training in the area. That same year Hamilton became the first Accredited Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations hospital in Georgia, demonstrating that Mr. .Burkett was not afraid to welcome outside evaluation and review of services. In 1964, the Intensive Care Unit at Hamilton was among the first fully developed ICU's in the state. In 1965 Governor Carl Sanders appointed Norman to the State Hospital Advisory Council.
Among many of his accomplishments, he started an Industrial Health program to reduce accidents and injuries in carpet mills and industries. Mr. Burkett's influence had improved patient care, but ambulance service in the area was not up to his standards.
In 1985, Whitfield County Commissioners approached Hamilton about operating the ambulance service. When two Private services operating in the area discontinued service, Hamilton stepped in and began Hamilton Emergency Medical Services (originally Whitfield EMS). Surrounding areas had been offering Advanced Life Support for many years, but Dalton residents until that point had only received Basic Life Support Services. Mr. Burkett was committed to the idea that Hamilton EMS is a premier service. He was named Chairman of Hamilton Emergency Medical Services Board of Directors and made sure 911 services were brought to the area for the first time.
Mr. Burkett retired from the hospital several years ago after being named Hamilton President Emeritus. As noted above, he is a man of many firsts, but he is also first in the hearts of Hamilton EMS staff and his beliefs are reflected in our patient care.